St. Lucia is a beautiful, volcanic island in the Caribbean. It went back and forth between British and French control before gaining independence in 1979. It is also the only country in the world named after a woman, Saint Lucy of Syracuse. They speak English, but also Patois, which is also known as Saint Lucian Creole French.
St. Lucia is the top romantic destination in the Caribbean and has a ton of couple focused activities and tours you can partake in.
- Hike Gros Piton and Petit Piton, the two mountains on the island. They should be decently challenging, but won’t take more than a day to do both. At the top, you can see the whole island! They were also declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2014.
- Take a mud bath at the Sulfur Springs. The mud is said to have rejuvenating properties and it’s so relaxing. Or take a dip under the waterfall after taking your own mud bath down the street like a local.
- Snorkle or Scuba off Sugar Beach in the coral reefs and see turtles, octopus, sharks and rays as well as the bright and colorful fish.
- Visit Dasheene Restaurant for some amazing food with a local twist and then enroll in a mixology course at The Bar at Dasheene.
- Or go to Jardin Cacao Restaurant and Bar for some traditional dishes and tour the amazing plantation while you’re there.
- Visit the Castries open-air market and pick up some local fruits and Caribbean street food like accra and plantains.
- Go to a cooking class at Spices Cooking Studio and make a traditional Lucian dish.
- August is Chocolate Heritage Month, but chocolate is celebrated throughout the year on St. Lucia. You can get a chocolate body scrub, you can take chocolate tours to see how chocolate is made, or you can make your own chocolate bar.
- Ride a chairlift or go ziplining through the rainforest.
- Visit the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Castries. It’s covered in paintings by local artist Dunstan St. Omer.
- Spend the day at Pigeon Island and learn the history of the national park, lay on the beach, and eat at a restaurant or two. You could also go to the St. Lucia Jazz and Arts Festival which is held here every year.
What did you do in St. Lucia? Let us know in the comments below!