My husband and I went to Mt Desert Island, where Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are, twice for a week. There are plenty of hotels that you can stay in, some book faster and cost more than others. We chose to stay at the Blackwoods Campground. I recommend booking in advance though there are walk in sites available. Here is my review and details about the campground. If you are babymooning, it may be easier to get a hotel room unless you are comfy in a sleeping bag.
We always have an amazing time hiking and eating, and walking around Bar Harbor. Here are some ideas on what you can do while you’re there:
- Drive up to the top of Cadillac Mountain and watch the sun rise. It is the first place the sun touches in the United States during the winter months, but in the summer it’s still a huge draw.
- Hike up Cadillac Mountain from a trail that starts at Blackwoods Campground. The view is spectacular and you can see all the islands surrounding Mt Desert Island.
- Hike over to Bar Island when the tide is low and look through the tide pools for sea urchins and star fish.
- There are so many carriage roads, walking paths, and hiking trails all around the island to take advantage of.
- See Thunder hole at high tide
- Take a whale watching tour or nature tour
- There are also lighthouse tours and puffin tours by boat around the islands
- Take a horse drawn carriage around the island
- Take a ferry to the Cranberry Islands
- Bike around the park
- Paddleboard or kayak around the island or go fishing in the lakes
- And eat lobster and blueberries. You can get the best lobster rolls, clam chowder, and blueberry anything in Bar Harbor. A good place to go is Cherrystones, so yummy.
There is so much to do, if there’s anything I’ve missed please let me know if the comments below!